Thailand Tourist Visas and Requirements

Most visitors on holiday from the West would be eligible for the Thailand visa exemption which is granted on arrival. To be eligible you must have a valid passport and be from one of forty countries including Australia, UK, US, Canada and many European countries. Your passport is stamped on arrival giving you a stay of thirty days in the country. This can be renewed after thirty days by exiting the country and returning and a new stamp will be given. Travellers often go to neighbouring countries to get another stamp. Overstaying means a fine of 200B per day.

Those who are going to Thailand for a longer trip, or to work, or don't come from one the countries eligible for visa exemption, would need to apply for a visa. Visas must be used within three months of the date of issue.

Transit visa

This is the thirty day visa that most foreigners are given on entry provided they have an onwards ticket. The cost is 800 Baht and the applicant must have a valid passport, two recent, passport-size photographs, a completed visa application form and evidence of onwards travel such as an air ticket out of the country. This visa is valid for thirty days and can be extended.

Tourist visa

A tourist visa is valid for 60 days and must be applied for in advance. The applicant needs two passport photos and a passport which is valid for not less than six months to apply. The fee is 1,000 Baht and the applicant needs to have a completed application form and an onwards air ticket to apply.

Non-immigrant visa

This visa is required for work or study in Thailand. Requirements are: a valid passport, two passport photos, and one of the following, depending on the reason for entering the country - birth certificate, marriage certificate, a letter from a company or university or an employment contract. The visa costs 2,000 Baht for a single entry and 5,000 Baht for multiple entry. It must be used within three months of issue. Applicants wishing to stay in the Kingdom longer than 90 days, have to file their application either at the Thai consular mission aboard or at the Office of Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

Diplomatic/Official Visa

This is for people who work at a foreign consul or people who want to take up permanent residence. Applicants need supporting documentation. Aliens can qualify to become residents:

As part of the yearly quota per nationality;

For investment;

For work or business;

If supporting an alien who already has a work permit.

Non-quota Immigrant Visa

This is only granted to aliens living in Thailand who have valid permits to re-enter.

Courtesy Visa

Embassies may upon official request grant a visa to passport holders wishing to enter the kingdom for official purposes.

Holiday Guides - Cyprus - China - Costa Rica - Croatia - Dubai - France - Greece - Hawaii - Ibiza - Italy - Majorca - Malta - Mexico - Portugal - Spain - India - Thailand - Turkey

Specialist Breaks - Alaska - World Cruises - Golf Holidays - Grand Canyon - Kilimanjaro - Thailand Golf Holidays - African Safaris

Weekend City Breaks - Timeshares - Airport Parking - Airport Hotels - Ferry Tickets - Vacation Rentals in Spain - Travel Insurance

Contact | Site Map Thailand | Disclaimer | Privacy | About Us
©IndigoGuide Thai Vacation Guide

IndigoGuide - Visas Thailand Destinations - Visas Thailand Book Online - Visas Thailand Specialist Breaks - Visas ThailandWeekend Breaks - Visas ThailandTravel Extras - Visas ThailandSite Map - Visas ThailandCopyright